Finding an apartment that will be a good fit is a very important decision. Below are some of the most common questions you should be asking before making a commitment.
How much is the security deposit?
When is the security deposit due?
Is there an application fee?
Does everyone need to turn in an application?
When are co-signers required?
What utilities are included in the rent?
Does the apartment have gas heat or electric heat? *electric heat is more expensive!
Is there air conditioning already in the unit?
What is the monthly utility average?
Who are the internet providers in the area?
How are maintenance requests placed?
Is renter’s insurance required?
Are pets allowed and if so what kinds?
What amenities are there?
Is there a double occupancy fee?
When is rent due?
Are there discounts involved for paying 6 months up front or a year up front?
Is rent paid with a check or online?
When touring an apartment pay attention to these:
- How many outlets are in each room
- Are there ceiling lights in each room
- How much natural light does the unit get
- How much storage is in the kitchen, bathroom and closets
- Is there any noise coming from neighboring units and the hallway
- Do the grounds and common areas appear tended to
- Where are the mailboxes and where are packages left
- Are there lights in the parking lot or garage
- Check your cell phone signal in the unit